Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Curtis


Bud is an 11-year-old boy in Flint, Michigan. His Momma died 5 years ago and he lives in an orphanage that he calls “The Home.” He gets sent to the Amoses’ house as a foster home. They are made up of an abusive son, a mom, a dad and now Bud. The son bullies him and beats him up until he has had enough and breaks out to go “on the lam.” He tries to reach the train to go west, but the police stopped that. Then he travels all the way to Grand Rapids, Michigan to try and find “his place.” He meets Herman E. Calloway and his band there. Will this be his place to stay? Read the book to find out.

I loved this book so much I read it twice. I liked it because it was interesting and had a lot of challenges in it. My favorite part was when Bud found Herman E. Calloway. If I were Bud, I would not like going to the Amoses’ due to the bad situations.

I think students in 6th or 7th grade would like this book and students that are 10-13 years old. A person that likes history and drama stories would like this book. Enjoy! -- D.C., Stadium

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read Bud, Not Buddy and I thought it was an OK book. I liked the scene when Bud ran away from his first foster family. I recommend this book to whoever likes Christopher Paul Curtis.

Anonymous said...

Bud, Not Buddy is a great book and I think it inspires kids Bud's age to be their selves and that no one person is the same.

Anonymous said...

Bud not Buddy is a very good book full of action suspense and emotion. i think when people are in or will be in 6th grade should read this book i guarantee you will enjoy it!