Friday, May 20, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


The Hunger Games is about an annual game that takes place in the future. There are 12 districts around the world. The Capital rules the world. This is because the world was destroyed in a large war. A small amount of land and people were left, and they rebuilt the world. Unfortunately, most districts are in poverty. Few districts were rich. They became rich by winning The Hunger Games. If you win, you obtain a large sum of money for you and your district. When the Hunger Games begin, two kids, a male and female, are randomly chosen to participate in the Hunger Games. The problem is that this game is a fight to the death. 24 children try to kill each other. The last person standing wins the Games. The story revolves around Katniss Everdeen, who takes her sister, Prim’s, place in the Hunger Games. She has one goal: Stay alive.

I personally enjoyed The Hunger Games. It was well written and very intense at times. My favorite part of the book is hard to decide. I loved everything in it. I think I liked the part with the trackerjackers the best, though. Trackerjackers are deadly bees invented by the Capital for war. Their stings cause delusions, and soon, death. Katniss is hiding in a tree when she knocks a nest of trackerjackers to the ground. They attack her, and other tributes trying to kill her. Katniss obtains only a couple stings, and she has the power to stay alive. Sadly, the others don’t fare as well as Katniss. A girl named Glitter is stung multiple times, and she is killed. I dislike the scene where Katniss found Peeta, though. The scene just dragged on, and was boring. I think Foxface was my favorite character. There wasn’t much back story about her, but you only needed a little information to know her. She was sly, and stealthy.

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. I would even recommend it to people who hate reading, because even they would be captured by its plot. With this book, it doesn’t matter what your age is. You will love this book no matter what. You can read it at any age, because it is a great book. -- D.R., Garden City

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great book.
Cameron B.
Gr.6
E.S. Rhodes

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved The Hunger Games. It was the best book that I have ever read. The characters are amazing and the setting is too. Suzanne Collins is a great author and I personally believe that every student in the 6th grade should read it. I look forward to reading the other two books in The Hunger Games trilogy. The summery of the book was very good and I'm a huge fan of the novel.
Bianca. A
Grade 6
Woodridge Elementary

Anonymous said...

This was a very good book it had a lot of action
Cassidy
Woodridge

Anonymous said...

I would diffentally recommend this book because it had action and adventure..... hope you like it [ :

Woodridge School
Zachary. D

Anonymous said...

this book was a great book. I loved how Katnis volunteered for the hunger games instead of her sister
Kyle, Grade 6
Woodridge school

Anonymous said...

This book seems like a great book. There must be a lot of action this book.

Richard
Gr.6
Woodridge school

Anonymous said...

I have been looking forward to reading this book all of my friends told me it would be great when i read it i will leave another comment if it interests someone into reading it.:)

Zachary Pecchia

Woodridge elementary

Anonymous said...

The Hunger Games is definitely the best book i have ever read in my life! I'd suggest it to ANYONE!! You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you won't want it put it down. I just have one thing to say, i know how the beginning of the book is dragged on a bit, but don't stop reading!! I beg you, if you have a chance read the book. I so obsessed with this trilogy it's not even funny. My life is the Hunger Games now. PLEASE READ THE BOOK!!!! Also, see the movie, or just watch the trailers. I can guarantee you will love this book, I did and always will.

Anonymous said...

The Hunger Games was also the best book I ever read, too. This action-packed book is set to make you want to keep reading. I like this book because Katniss has to go through tough challenges to survive. She also has to make big decisions that change everything. My favorite part was when Katniss blows up all of the supplies of another contestant. My least favorite part was the beginning because it was very slow and boring, but it got better in the middle. I really recommend this book to anyone 6th grade and older.

Alec Gr.6 Orchard Farms School

Anonymous said...

I think that the Hunger Games is a perfect combination of adventure and romance. It was my favorite book. I am only on book one so the second and third might be better. This book is so cool that I am entering a contest about it. Well I would suggest that everyone should try it out.

Jacob B.

Grade. 6

E.S. Rhodes

Anonymous said...

I loved this book!!! Once you read it you will want to read the other two books in the trilogy right away! This book has action on every page. Once you start reading it you will not want to stop. Suzanne Collins did a great job with this book and once again once you start reading it you won't be able to put it down!!!
Arianna C.
Grade 6
E.S. Rhodes Elementary

Anonymous said...

“The Hunger Games,” by Suzanne Collins has to the best book I have ever read and I’ve read a lot of books! I definitely recommend this book to anyone in 6th grade or higher. Katniss Everdeen is the main character of the story and I guarantee she will make you want to read more. My favorite part of the book was when she sings Rue to sleep. Tears were streaming down my face the whole time. Suzanne Collins did an excellent job in writing the trilogy. Also, check out the trailers for the movie that’s coming out March 23rd, 2012.
Elizabeth
Grade 6
Orchard Farms Elementary School